Friday, June 5, 2009

GNO part 1: dinner

Girls Night Out. To celebrate a friend's birthday, we headed over to Chapel Hill for a little bar crawl last Friday night. One of the nine ladies hitting the town that evening was pregnant and willingly offered to be our DD for the night. I offered up my truck, which allowed all nine of us to drive together (and take advantage of the DD while she's still gestating).

Margaritas flowing, off we head to Top of the Hill, a Chapel Hill Icon, where we were met by the most uncongenial bunch of servers and hostesses I've had the misfortune to encounter in quite a while. Graduation is over, they're well in to summer (=slow) session now. You would have thought it was March Madness with the way they demanded that everyone in our party be present, in the flesh, before they seated us. I actually had to tell the hostess that we were all there, save one who was in the car, pumping milk from her breasts and would be detained a few more minutes, so please for the love of God, let us sit down (there were empty tables all around). She wasn't quite sure how to handle that one, poor thing, and we were seated shortly thereafter.

Our server, with a double major in international relations and women's studies, was bitter. I think she was wishing that she'd studied something, well, a tad more marketable, as all of her friends apparently left Chapel Hill (and her) for a real job, um, I mean, the real world. I refrained from telling her that 95% of the things she learned in her Women's Studies classes falls into the following categories 1)bullshit 2) bullshit or 3)bullshit.

Wait until she has a few children, preferably at least one boy and one girl. Then she can conduct her own case study on "nature vs nurture." Get ready for the results: Boys play rough and really do tend to like cars and trucks, and (surprise!) girls generate drama and really do like dolls! Conclusion: BOYS AND GIRLS ARE DIFFERENT. (gasp!)

I too, took a number of Women's Studies classes in college. It took about 5 years of being a mom (once I had birthed a boy and a girl so I could conduct my own study) to pull out the Bullshit Card and wish I could get a refund on those classes. What I could do with a smidge of that out-of-state University of Michigan tuition right now. Who am I kidding, it'd go right into the 529 plans for the kids...........

2 comments:

  1. Post Chapel Hill entry by way of UIL (Uncle-In-Law). Classes I should have taken were massive amounts of accounting and more econ. Womens Studies was something I had every semester and I am still going back over my notes. Nothing works out, ever. Also, I have to respond because you have made the effort to Blog - very well. I enjoy the stories. As I think of this, maybe I can create a new Internet term; the "Counter Blog." But we'll have to give it a better name than that. Also-Blog? More Blog? Maybe we could "web-it," and make sure the words we use are all together. alsoblog (all lower-case, of course).
    goodbyefornow.com,
    Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, how do I upload a pic to add to my name/gray head?
    Shaun

    ReplyDelete