Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Just Another Manic Monday

Have you ever found yourself compelled to complete a task so ridiculous that you're almost embarrassed to admit it?

I found myself searching the house in every pencil case, craft box, backpack, and junk drawer Monday night...pulling out every marker, pen, pencil, colored pencil, dry erase marker, sharpie, ink pad, and paint pen. And there I sat, surrounded by piles of writing utensils ready for the task at hand.

I purged.

Half-broken crayons that I had kept, with the thought that we'd make those really cool multi-color shaped crayons you can bake in your own oven - gone.

Nubby pencils and pencils with no erasers - tossed.

Pens that have run out of ink, markers that have dried up and paint pens that I can't get the tops off of anymore - all hit the circular file.

Then I sat and sharpened each and every pencil I could find, and stashed a few in the kids' backpacks, seeing as any time we try to complete homework assignments in the carpool line, no one can seem to locate a pencil.

I switched all the marker tops so that the tops match the color of marker. I organized all of these thing in our "Craft box." I don't know why exactly I felt compelled to take on this pointless task. I'm sure some psychologist somewhere could analyze me and give me loads of useless insight. All it will take is one rainy afternoon for the chaos to return, but you know what? I don't care.

I may not have accomplished anything of great importance on this very manic Monday, but darn it if I can tell you exactly where the red sharpie is. And some days, here on the edge, that is an amazing accomplishment.

2 comments:

  1. You write like you talk. I love it. I like the "reasoning" comments followed by the action and the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny Shaun, I never noticed that I did that - it certainly isn't intentional - but at least I am consistent, I guess. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete